Every Equalizer Setting Explained
Equalizers are the most commonly used and misunderstood tool in an engineer’s toolkit.
The ability to bend, shape and carve frequencies at-will is an audio superpower not to be taken lightly. It’s important that sound engineers understand what is going on behind the knobs and fully understand the impact of what every EQ parameter can have on a sound.
In this tutorial, Grammy winner Fab Dupont explains everything you need to know about:
- Fully Parametric and Semi-Parametric EQ
- High and Low Shelves
- Bell curves and Q settings
- High Pass and Low Pass filters (aka Low Cut and High Cut filters)
- Frequency graphs
- Analog vs Digital EQs
- Personal tastes (sonically) and how to find the right tools to match
- The subtle differences between the hundred of different EQs available
Learn the theory and concepts you need to know about EQ controls and parameters so no matter what EQ is put in front of you, you’ll be able to mold the sound to your liking with no second guessing.
Once logged in, you will be able to click on those chapter titles and jump around in the video.
- 00:00 - Start
- 00:0 - Introduction
- 00:33 - Different EQs - Same Purpose
- 02:02 - Analysis Of An Equalizer
- 08:08 - Types Of Qs - What Are The Differences ?
- 16:20 - EQ Character - Parametric or Shelf ?
- 21:37 - Filters - HPF, LPF, HCF or LCF
- 28:40 - Gear vs. Plugins - Emulation vs. Factory
- 29:34 - Neve 1073 vs. Avid EQ III
- 33:04 - API 550A vs. Flux:: Epure v3
- 34:32 - Limitations - The Good & The Bad
- 37:52 - EQ Graphs
- 39:47 - Variety Of EQs
- 39:51 - Pultec EQP-1A & MEQ-5
- 43:44 - Manley Massive Passive
- 45:38 - Trident A-Range
- 46:08 - Harrison 32C
- 49:42 - Helios 69
- 51:14 - McDSP 6020 Ultimate EQ
- 52:59 - Linear Phase EQs
- 57:42 - Tilt EQs
- 59:10 - SoundRadix Surfer EQ
- 1:02:00 - Conclusion
- Avid Pro Tools
- Apple Logic Pro X
- Steinberg Cubase
- Presonus Studio One
- Avid EQ3
- FabFilter Pro-Q2
- Flux:: Epure v3
- McDSP 6020
- Oxford EQ
- SoundRadix Surfer EQ
- Softube Tonelux Tilt
- UAD API 550A
- UAD Harrison 32
- UAD Helios 69
- UAD Manley Massive Passive
- UAD Neve 1073
- UAD Pultec Pro
- UAD Trident A-Range
Fab Dupont is a Grammy winning NYC based record producer, mixing/mastering engineer and co-founder of pureMix.net.
Fab has been playing, writing, producing and mixing music both live and in studios all over the world. He's worked in cities like Paris, Boston, Brussels, Stockholm, London and New York just to name a few.
He has his own studio called FLUX Studios in the East Village of New York City.
Fab has been nominated for Grammys 6 times, including two Latin Grammys and has received many other accolades around the world, including Victoires de la Musique, South African Music awards, Pan African Music Awards and US independent music awards.
Toots And The Maytals
Parts of this site and some files are only accessible to pureMix Pro Members. Please see below our membership plans.